The CCN - Ballet de Lorraine is a space for the discovery of the art of choreography. This project of choreographic development is the result of a longstanding policy validating the dance practiced in the Grand Est region and elsewhere for many years.
We are interested in developing a strategy of outreach, artistic and cultural education, enhancing the loyalty of our audience by working with thematic journeys and events.
This project is constantly being adapted and updated by new propositions including the changes recently implemented in the artistic direction of the CCN, while also maintaining specific structural actions whose effect can only be evaluated on a long-term basis, more than over a single season or a school year. These actions are rooted in the idea of encounters, of a dialogue with the artists and our many audiences (young children, school children, college students, persons with reduced mobility or who are socially challenged …) as well as with our partners. They involve the entire staff at the CCN – Ballet de Lorraine, as well as Joris Perez, one of our choreographic artists whose role is primarily community and audience outreach, as well as the entire series of outreach actions beginning this season with Elodie Bourdonnay and Cécile Potdevin who are in charge of their implementation.
As he begins restructuring the cultural action sector of his mission, Petter Jacobsson has laid out the principal axes of his program:
- To make this place dedicated to dance creation into a known resource, a place of expertise recognized by its institutional and cultural partners, its educational partners, a place for training, and for anyone interested in exploring the choreographic arts. The CCN - Ballet de Lorraine affirms its openness to its audiences, with Open Doors events, workshops, visits, meetings with its staff, an introduction to works-in-progress, personalized meetings, workshops for families, the underprivileged, those returning to professional or social life …
- To make creation both accessible and visible over the long term, beyond its possible programming in Nancy, and accompanying – in the region and beyond – the artistic presences of the dancers of the company and of its various artists in residence.
- To lay out the ensemble of projects under way which relate to the principal mission of the CCN - Ballet de Lorraine, “dance creation,” as part of cultural actions which can be integrated into existing partners’ structures, as well as into new forms, specifically those which will allow others to better understand the creative process and its dynamic.
- To initiate these actions in accordance with the fundamentals of artistic and cultural education: each group of persons involved in one of our projects is in contact with a professional artist accompanied by a qualified person from the CCN - Ballet de Lorraine staff, in a partnership dynamic. Arts practices (in the domaine of ‘doing’), cultural approaches (in the domain of ‘knowing’), and technical and methodological approaches (in the domain of ‘savoir-faire’) enter into dialogue and feed off each other.
- To communicate often about these projects, highlighting the written and visual traces and notes linked to each project, some of this will be happening in real time on our new website. We would like this communication to be available nationally; the Centre National de la Danse – Pantin has recently created a collaborative space dedicated to education in choreographic culture, a site for information about actions undertaken on French territory by different cultural partners and for putting online methodological and pedagogical materials, making them available to those leading the projects.
The CCN - Ballet de Lorraine participates in this project of development of choreographic culture, cultural democratization and audience renewal.
For more information on these projects, and to participate, please contact: